INTCAT 1950 - 1951

1950 - Morning
Mrs Kathleen Compardo had returned to bed  to get some extra rest after making her husband’s breakfast, when she awoke to see two transparent figures 1m tall beside her bed. She had a kind of mental impression of child-like voices which said that the beings were friendly, wanted earthlings to live in peace and had a cure for cancer, but could kill in an instant with a ray gun and that they could not stay in the earth’s atmosphere  for any length of time. They then vanished.
  • Holzer 1978 p69, first hand investigation.

March 13 1950
An occupant report.  No further details.
  • Awareness 8, 1, p25 citing El Universal 14 March 1950.

March 15 1950 - 1815
Craig Hunter was driving north on Rt 153 between Penfield and Clearfield. When he stopped his car to check for a malfunction he heard a hissing or buzzing sound, and looking up, saw a disk shaped object with portholes and a rapidly revolving outer ring approaching at several hundred metres altitude, traveling from the southeast to the northwest. The machine approached to within a few metres, circling the witness who was joined by Ellis Yeager. Through the portholes a group of human like figures could be seen, wearing some kind of army style helmet. A sort of flare was fired at the witnesses.
  • Ted Bloecher personal communication, citing St. Mary’s Daily Press (Pa) 16, 17 and 21 March 1950 and Altoona (?illegible) 18 March 1950 and Penfield Progress 31 March 1950
  • Interview with William Maggs in Miami Daily News 24 March 1950
  • Heiden citing Johnson 1950 p143.

March 15 1950 - 1830
Rancher Wilfredo H Arevalo saw two objects one of which landed. He walked to within 150m of the aluminium looking object, which gave off a green-blue vapour and an intense smell like burning benzene. The machine was saturn shaped with a central revolving disk. In a sort of glass cabin he could see 4 men about 2m tall dressed in something like cellophane working at various instruments. They Arevalo and shone a light in his direction, while a blue light illuminated the object. The vapour increased and flames, alternately reddish and greenish shot out of the base, while the object rose at dizzying speed with a faint hum. Both machines flew towards Chile leaving bluish trails. The next day Arevalo and his farm hands visited the area and found the grass burned.
  • Gordon Creighton in Humanoids 1967 citing La Razon (BA) 13 April 1950 and Vogt 1956.
  • Heiden citing Ribera 1968 p63 citing EFE Newsagency UPI 18 April 1950 and Joao Martins in O Cruzeiro 13 Nov 1954).
March 20 1950 - Day
Samuel Eaton Thompson a poorly educated man in his 70s was driving back to Centralia from visiting relatives in Markham when, intrigued by an old logging trail in wooded area, he stopped and began walking along it. A few minutes later he came across a large globular object hovering just above a clearing in the trees. From an opening in the side of the object steps led down to the ground, around which were playing a group of naked, tanned children. As he approached within 15m of the object he noticed that it was emitting heat. When he reached the bottom of the steps a group of naked adults, both men and women, appeared. They seemed frightened by his presence, but when he reassured them of his friendly intentions, they invited him on board. They claimed to be from Venus and struck him as innocent, uneducated and instinctual. They did seem to know how their craft had been built or how it operated. They were vegetarians who talked about reincarnation and such topics. He slept the night in the craft and went home next day to get his camera. The object was still there when he arrived but gave off too much light for any photographs to turn out. No traces were found at the site.
  • Jerome Clark in Fate January 1981, citing investigation by Kenneth Arnold
  • Ted Bloecher citing Centralia Daily Chronicle 1 April (!) 1950.

March 30 1950
A woman who did not  give her name called the sheriff’s office to report that an unidentified object had landed on Highway 80 and a dwarf had jumped out and quickly run away.
  • Ted Bloecher citing an unidentified news clipping datelined San Diego 31 March 1950.

April 24 1950 - 2200 hrs
Industrial worker Bruno Facchini (42) stepped out his house to get some air after a storm. As he was about to re-enter he saw some strange flashes a few hundred metres from the house.  Thinking it was a high tension cable had been brought down, he walked to the site, but saw no damage. He then saw the flashing a little further away. They came from a sphere with a flattened top at 10m altitude. In the middle of the object was a little ladder, from the top of which came a greenish light. A man was doing some welding on the machine. Two other men, 1.7m tall,  were walking round the craft, wearing grey diving suits and masks with a tube hanging down from the mouth. Inside the masks their faces were light coloured and human. Facchini, thinking he had encountered an aircraft which had force landed asked if he could help. The beings replied with incomprehensible words, giving him the impression he was being invited on board. At the same time he heard a buzzing sound like a “gigantic bee-hive or dynamo” and realized that this was not an aircraft. As he fled one of the men fired a ray of light at him, from a sort of camera, knocking him over as if he had been hit by a blast of air. The beings lost interest. Everything became dark, then as the noise increased, the craft rose at fantastic speed.  The next day Facchini returned to the scene and found 4 round impressions 1m diameter, in a square 8m apart, burnt grass and some bits of metal, which analysis showed consisted mainly of copper, tin and lead, with traces of other metals. A few days after the experience he developed a bruise in his back where the light had hit him. The area turned black and the pain lasted a month, and for ages afterwards he got hot flushes.
  • Antonio Giudici in FSR 20, 6, p30 citing Notizario UFO 3y, Pino Ghidelli in Dischi Volante 1, Deomencia del Corriere April 1952, Rivista Aeronautica May 1953, Vesco 1972 p237.
  • Gordon Creighton in FSR 9, 2, p4, citing Domenica del Corriere 28 October 1962
  • Vallee 1969 p 152
  • Mary Boyd in FSR  22, 1, p29 citing UFO in Italia 1974.

May 10 1950
Dr. Enrique Caretenuto Botta (40), an architectural engineer, former pilot, and owner of a real estate company in Caracas was out driving in an isolated region when he saw a metallic disk resting in an inclined position in the grass off the highway. It was 10m diameter, with a slippery brilliant surface 2m thick, surmounted by a tower 2m tall in which windows were visible. he stopped to investigate and saw an opening in the side. He looked in to see a pulsating red light flashing at 1 second intervals.

Curious he went inside, where he saw a curved divan with four seats, three of which were occupied by small beings dressed in tight fitting grey overalls. They were about 1.2m tall, of human appearance, with short hair, bronze skin and dark faces.  They were dead and stiff. One of them was sat with his hands on levers, facing a kind of control panel, above which was a small sphere with a circle. Botta ran out and went back to his hotel where he related his story to two friends. The three men went back to the site next day but only found a heap of ashes, which gave the man who touched them a deep purple stain. As they wandered around they saw a cigar shaped object and two smaller disks which merged with the larger cigar. Botta took 5 pictures of this site. He later suffered from an inexplicable fever with blisters.
  • Stringfield 1978b  p93 citing Botta himself and research by Horacio Gonzalez G.
  • Lorenzen 1962 p 54,  Lorenzen 1966 p 59 citing El Universal 7 March 1955.

June 17 1950 - 0230
Oscar Linke (48), the mayor of Gleimerschausen, was driving on his motorcycle to Haselbach, with his daughter Gabrielle (11) in the side car. Several kilometres outside Haselbach the tires blew and they began to push the bike. Gabrielle saw two forms, which she thought were deer, in a field 150m away, and Oscar approached to try and catch one. When he got within 80m he saw they were two people dressed in heavy clothing like that worn by arctic explorers but made of a shimmering metal. From 50m he saw them bend down and study something on the ground. Thinking they were Russians he approached cautiously to within 15m. Looking over a ridge he saw an oval object like a warming pan without a handle, 12-15m across, 2.5m high. Along its side were two rows of holes 30cm diameter and 45cm apart. Out of the top of the metallic object protruded a black cylinder about 3m high. The men, one of whom had a box like object on his chest emitting a flashing light, communicated with each other by gestures. After Oscar had been watching them for about 25 minutes, Gabrielle called out to him afraid. At the sound of her voice, the two men rushed back to the machine, climbed rapidly up the side of the cylinder and disappeared inside. They seemed to move with a peculiar gliding motion. The holes around the side of the craft began to glow with a red and green light and Oscar heard a slight hum. The object then rose up around the central cylinder, flames being emitted around the edge. The central cylinder was now protruding from the bottom and standing on the ground. As the machine took off a blast of cold air flattened the grain in a neighboring field. The craft hovered at 30m altitude, the cylinder having now reemerged at the top, then rose with a whistling sound and headed South South West towards Stockheim in the western zone. Gabrielle also saw the object take off. They examined the site and found a circular flattened depression where the earth had been evacuated to the diameter of the cylinder. About 2.5km away a shepherd Georg Derbst saw what he thought was a comet “bounce off the earth” and a sawmill watchman also described a “comet” flash away from the hill. Oscar was so afraid he had seen a Russian secret  device that he defected to the west.
  • Ted Bloecher in MUFON UFO Journal 153, p16 citing Dr. Leon Davidson and Antony Terry in (London) Sunday Graphic 6 July 1952 and Nacht-Depesche no 188.
  • Cramp 1966 p 134
  • Guieu 1956 p56.
  • Cramp 1954 p158)

Summer 1950 - Day
A 6 year old girl saw an object like a plane in a clover field surrounded by a wood near her farmhouse and had a sudden impulse to go there. The object was 300-400m away, cigar shaped, 6m long, with silvery ends and a black central part. Neither wings nor wheels could be seen. Around the machine four small men, only a bit taller than the girl, were moving. They wore bright green clothes and hoods. Their bare faces were abnormally red and they had strange, immobile eyes, They walked with an awkward gait. One of them kicked the machine with his foot. The girl seemed to converse with the men through telepathy, but about what she could not remember. She was then seized with a sudden fear and ran home, as she did so the object took off slowly and smoothly. Neither her mother nor her grandmother would believe her story. She was too afraid the visit the spot for some time.
  • Juri Lina in FSR 24, 1 p3  citing investigation by Tunne Kelam.

July 2 1950 - Evening
A senior executive of the Steep Rock mines and his wife were picnicking at Sawbill Bay, when they were surprised by a shock wave, like blasting. On the water 400m away was a double disk with portholes 2.4m apart, and a rotating hoop like antennae on top. Moving about the top of the object were about 10 figures 1.2m tall, dressed in shiny clothing walking “like robots, changing direction without turning their bodies”. Their faces could not be seen. One of them had a red cap, darker arms and legs and appeared to be their leader. They emersed a hose into the lake.  The next time the couple looked, the object was hovering at 2.5m and the beings had gone inside.  The object was 14m in diameter, 4.5m thick at the centre, 3.5m at the edges. It took off at an angle of 45 degrees, giving off a blast of air.  A green metallic film was found at the spot. About three weeks later the executive and a friend were boating on the lake at night, when they saw a disk performing the same maneuvers.  The dwarfs rushed off inside as the object took off at great speed. Their boat stalled then heated up.
  • Wilkins 1967 p245 + Cramp 1966 p p249 + Lorenzen1966 p23 + Edwards Serious Business 1967 p98 + Jessup 1957b p230, all quoting Fate February/March 1952 p68 quoting Steep Rock Echo September/October 1950.

September 15 1950 - Late Evening
A man observed the silhouette of a person between himself and the beach and the end of the base runway. When he investigated he saw a flash and felt his hand burn.
  • Musgrave 1979 p45 case 12, citing Blue Book Case 795.

1951 - 2200 hrs.
Three teenagers encountered a humanoid figure dressed in a robe, 20m away. It seemed to be  2m tall, smoky grey in colour, with no definite head features and floating just above the ground.  The teenagers fled.
  • Basterfield 1980, citing interview by UFOR(NSW) on 6 Oct 1976.

January 5 1951 - 2355
At the Desnaunois farm an apparition wrapped in a shroud came to disturb the rest of the farm workers. It violently opened the door of the farmhouse and menaced 2 gendarmes present with a bony arm. Flashes of fire seemed to come from the creature which vanished into the night. An official report of the incident was lodged with the clerk of the Alois Magistrates court.
  • Jacques Bonabot citing Brugsche Courant 27 Jan 195.

February 1951
A  group of Umatjera Aboriginals observed from a low hilltop a shiny circular object land near a similar object already on the ground. Both objects were between 10-15m in diameter, perhaps 3m high.  After a few minutes a dwarf came from the second  object and entered the first, The creature had a shiny suit and helmet. Both machines rose with a buzzing sound.  The event was not reported until September.
  • Edwards, Serious Business, Mayflower p100.

Spring 1951 - 2315 hrs.
H.M., a British engineer was driving his car to top up his battery, and had gone up the Draakensteen Mountain, where he was flagged down by a stranger, who asked for water. M told him he had none, but that he could get some from a nearby stream and helped him fetch it in an oil can. The stranger directed him to a machine hidden in the shadow of the mountain. It was discoid 10-15m diameter, about 4m high with a double row of  4 windows, and was resting on a landing gear. The stranger invited him in, to a circular room, where there were a number of men almost 1.5-1.6m tall, wearing beige laboratory fastened with a belt over normal clothes. One of them appeared to be injured. Lots of levers were visible and the room was illuminated by a pervasive white light from an unseen source. The occupants warned him not to move from his spot near the entrance, and gave a vague description of the operation of the craft involving antigravity and pointed to the sky as their place of origin. After about 20 minutes he was ushered out, and left the area. Next day he found some marks at the site.
  • Juan Jose Benitez in FSR 24, 2, p3, first hand discussion with witness.
May 15 1951 - 2300 hrs
An American military driver had returned from Linz to the motor pool 8km north of Salzburg, and was walking back to the town, when a helmeted figure stepped out of the bush and pointed something at him, paralyzing him. This being strapped a kind of plate to the witnesses back, and led him to a round object about 50m diameter in a nearby field. He was placed in a cabin with a transparent dome on top. The machine then took off and they were taken to another world, where there were several other craft, two with “people from earth” on them. After a while the beings returned him to earth, at the same spot where he had been taken. The creatures that abducted him were short, with three fingers, large skulls and “lots of little eyes in the two big ones like-like a fly”. 
  • Charles Bowen in FSR 13,4 AND Allen 1959 p137, quoting Flying Saucers October 1958, quoting UFOlogy News n..d. quoting Ron Powell in Prince George Citizen 1 Dec 1957.

June 1951 - 2150 hrs.                                 
Two teenage sisters in a quiet country lane saw a little man appear in front of them as if from nowhere. He was about 75cm tall, dressed in black with a black cap. The sisters ran through a gate as the little man turned toward them.  They later saw an object “about the size and shape of a common tin kitchen clock” on the gate.
  • MacManus 1959, p47.

June 19 1951 - 1200 hrs.
Mechanic Joseph Matiszweski heard a whistling sound and saw an object land in a meadow. Approaching within 50m he found himself paralyzed and observed that the birds had stopped singing and cows seemed unable to move. From the object emerged four handsome men with brown skin who wore black shiny suits and translucent helmets. Eight objects also emerged from the craft and hovered above it. Other men inside the craft and on its deck appeared to be making repairs. The objects all then rose to about 100m altitude and climbed rapidly out of sight. Only then did the paralysis subside.
  • Vallee Case 82, citing UFO Nachtrichten, May 1959.

Summer 1951 - 2100 hrs.
A 49 year old man, his 40 year old wife and a 50 year old police officer friend were going to see an open air theater performance in the town square, when, as they turned into the street, they saw a small transparent ovoid motionless 7-9m above the square 60m away. The audience, engrossed in the performance had their backs to this ovoid and did not appear to notice it. As the three witnesses got closer they saw, seated in the object, a normal sized man dressed in light overalls. He appeared thin and elderly, and had a long white beard, and appeared to be leaning closer to watch the play. This revealed a second person they could not clearly see. The lady got within 7-8m of the object which was 4-5m long. As she then called out to the spectators, the object took off at great speed and with a slight whistling sound, disappearing to the North North East over the roof of a house in a second. The main male witness thought he heard voices that sounded Russian.
  • MUFON UFO Journal 142, p9 quoting A. M. and P Maissa, Theirry Leplat and Eric Zurcher in LDLN 175 citing their first hand investigation.

July 1951 - 0130 hrs,
A man out cycling became aware that the landscape had changed and then saw a disk hovering 80m above the ground. Near a slope four men were standing. They had thin faces, long hair and blue eyes and were wearing scaled silvery overalls and were barefoot. They communicated with the witness by telepathy.
  • lain Gamard citing Ouranous 13 p5 and 14 p12.

August 14 1951 - 1300 hrs.
A farmer observed a Saturn-shaped machine 6m diameter land in the open space of a cemetery, 50m away. It had telescopic legs, 2 small side stairs and a ring of dull white portholes and a sort of exhaust pipe which emitted fire. From it emerged six beings 1.1-1.2m tall, dressed in shiny white one piece overalls with knee high boots. On their backs were some cylinders from which tubes went to their faces, which resembled those of monkeys, with round azure eyes, prominent noses and white complexions. They had long arms which reached below their knees, human like legs.  Their heads were covered by round, transparent helmets with three antennae, two at the side, one in the centre. They wore 20cm thick hip belts, on which were lenses of various colours. They carried weapons which reminded the witness of Russian tommy guns. When pointed at the witness these gave off a flash of light which had no affect on. They came towards him laughing and apparently communicating with each other by gestures. One of the beings had a red beard and seemed to gesture at the witness. When the beings ascended the two stairways, three by three, this one with the red beard was last. Now the stupefied farmer was able to gesture back. The object now withdrew its extremities, the upper hemisphere began to rotate, emitted a noise like a vacuum cleaner for a short while, then rose, giving off red-green flames like those of kerosene. At a certain altitude it stopped, tilted then disappeared towards Venice in a moment. The observation lasted 90 seconds. An area of burnt soil 7m diameter, where the soil was bare and carbonised was found at the site. The witness was shocked and paralyzed.
  • Maurizio Verga citing Zo Fabrizio’s first hand investigation
  • FSR 24, 6 p24.

September 1951 - 2100
Mrs Louise McDougall, her husband and three other people seated outside the McDougall’s trailer observed a disk hovering above nearby trees. The object was huge, metallic with elongated rectangular windows on the underside, through which the figures of four men could be seen, illuminated by a soft amber glow. They were wearing jump suits and had shoulder length hair. Mrs McDougall shone a spotlight on the object, which moved away rapidly towards the southwest, After a few minutes the object returned to the same position, before moving away to the south east. The observation lasted for 15 minutes.
  • Ted Bloecher citing a letter and NICAP report form dated 4 Dec 1961.

September 4 or 5 1951 - 0630 hrs.
A few days before her marriage, teenager Sheila, staying with her parents for a few days, had woken and was looking out of her bedroom window, when she saw a large, silvery-green,  dome shaped object 12m diameter, 7m high descend with a flash and land on the lawn.Three square  panels like large doors appeared equally spaced apart, and from these emerged three men 1.5-1.8m tall with completely bald heads, wearing dark green or khaki one piece garments, which covered their feet, ended tightly at the wrist and with “mandarin collars”, and were each holding a devise like a machine gun. ( A cylinder 50cm long, 8cm diameter, with black rectangular shapes like magazines, with shorter, wider rectangles on the top.) From their right shoulders to their left hand side were black bands which connected to stomach bands of similar width and colour. Their arms were long but with normal hands and fingers. They had small pointed noses, small lipless mouths and small pointed, deep set,  expressionless eyes ,They continued walking for about 10m, appearing to be oblivious of their surroundings, then stopped simultaneously and walked back to the object, reentering their respective openings, then panels of which slid back. Red flashing lights appeared on the object (about  2m below its apex), which then took off vertically. The incident lasted 40-50 seconds. No traces were found.
  • Andrew Collins in BUFORA Journal 8, 1 p11.citing his first hand investigation.
September 24 1951 - 1100 hrs.
Harrison E Bailey (24) was walking in a wooded area south of Orlando Park, wheeling a large tractor tire that he used as an advertising gimmick, when he felt a cramp in the back of his neck and vaguely saw something he thought was a whirlwind. It was a grey object with a tapering underside. He thought little of it and carried on. he next remember standing in the wood observing a huge silver-grey round object, larger than a car, across the road at the edge of a meadow only 30m away. As he stood watching, a sliding door in the craft moved back revealing an opening, from which two men emerged, and stood next to it staring at Bailey. Their faces were hidden by huge. green tinted shields which distorted their features. Bailey felt as though his whole body was vibrating. He thought it was some kind of aircraft and wondered if the occupants were Russian spies. The beings asked him where he was coming from and going to in unaccented English. The paralysis, which had up to that time had held him, now left and he continued on his way, but did not get far before he felt totally exhausted and ill. As he got out of the wood he realised that it was now afternoon. The next day he felt improved but still not up to his usual self.

In the following years he developed various physical and psychological problems which led to a hypnotic regression in 1977. Under this he recalled that as he approached the woods he saw a strange frog like creature on a log, with a number of similar creatures half hidden on either side of the road. Numerous little round objects were moving around in the wood ahead. The frog like creatures walked up to him, making high pitched sounds. They were about 45cm tall, with brown, smooth, striped skin, small hands and three toed feet., wrap around eyes and slit mouths but no other features were visible. They jumped up and kept touching Bailey’s body. There were also numerous beings in round shells. Bailey ran off and outdistanced the creatures but lost track of time. He recovered in front of the object. He now recalled that he had lost consciousness again and awoke on a low bed in the craft, where a soft diffuse light played on his skin, and he was examined by beings 1.5m tall wearing visors and one piece suits. They seemed to be examining him, but he could not feel their touch. He was told that the occupants were friendly, and that he should tell people this when let off the object. Bailey later claimed to have seen aliens on several occasions and to have taken photographs of them.
  • Anne Druffel in Fate April 1978 p38 and May 1978 p 75, citing her first hand investigation.

November 1951
William Routledge was working in his ship-breaking yard, when he became aware of a creature 1.95m tall, with a great bush of hair on its head and wearing tight, tapering, plum coloured trousers. The being walked with an ape like shamble, did not seem to interrupt the headlights of a car, and was only visible to two of the three people in the car. 
  • Gray Mosley in BUFORA Journal 5, 2 p12.

December 1951 - Dusk
Alerted by his 12 year old son, mechanic Sam Coley and his 17 year old daughter joined the boy  to observe an object resembling two saucers put together, with a cabin in the centre. It was hovering at 2m altitude 300m from their house. The object was in view for 10 minutes and a humanoid occupant could be seen through the illuminated windows of the cabin. The machine emitted a purring sound  and the outer shell appeared to move. It then took off at lightning speed.
  • George Fawcett in Flying Saucers 77 and Fawcett 1975 p25.
  • Coral Lorenzen in Humanoids 1967 p52, citing CSI Newsletter 28 Jan 1956.
  • Lorenzen 1967 p116
  • Lumberton Robesonian 7 Aug 1952) (Fawcett 1975 gives the date as late September)